BUDGET FAMILY MEALS UNDER £1 PER PERSON
These delicious, vegetarian bean burgers made with coriander, onions and spring onions. Use old bread or the ends of a loaf of bread to save waste.
Total cost: £4 (Asda)
Cost per person: £1
Items: KTC Chick Peas (400g), KTC Red Kidney Beans (400g) and KTC Rosecoco Beans (400g) 3 tins for £1, spring onions 74p, fresh coriander bunch 87p, Chosen by You seeded white burger buns (6) 85p, onion 10p, Smartprice seasonal salad (180g) 44p
READY IN: 30 MINUTES
- 400g can cannellini beans, drained
- 210g can butter beans, drained
- 210g can red kidney beans, drained
- 75g fresh white breadcrumbs
- 4 spring onions, trimmed and chopped
- 1tbsp fresh chopped coriander
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Olive oil, for brushing
- Burger buns, salad and thinly sliced vegetables, to serve
Tip all the beans into a colander and rinse under cold running water. Drain well and pat dry with kitchen paper. Transfer to a large mixing bowl and mash until roughly crushed with a potato masher.
Add the breadcrumbs, spring onions, coriander and egg and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Mix thoroughly with clean hands then divide shape and divide into four chunky burgers.
Place the burgers on a foil-lined grill pan and brush with olive oil. Cook under a medium-hot grill for 5-6 mins on each side until light golden and piping hot.
Serve the hot burgers in split burger buns with salad and sliced vegetables.